What is CAMRA?
What we do
CAMRA is an independent, voluntary, consumer organisation. Membership is open to all individuals, but corporate entities such as breweries and pubs are not members. CAMRA is governed by a voluntary unpaid national executive, elected by the membership. There are a dozen or so employed staff responsible for central campaigning, research, administration of membership, sales and so forth.
It is no exaggeration to say that CAMRA saved real ale in the U.K. and as a result saved many independent breweries. No new ale breweries were set up in the UK for the fifty years before we were founded.
For more information follow this link to the National Camra web site What is CAMRA?
When we speak of Real Ale we also mean real Cider and Perry. APPLE was formed by CAMRA in 1988 and its aim is to campaign for Real Cider and Perry as part of the CAMRA orgnaisation.
Benefits of CAMRA Membership
Benefits of being a member of CAMRA include receiving the monthly What's Brewing? newspaper, which is always full of interesting articles, and reduced admission charges to most CAMRA beer festivals. CAMRA Benefits also means that several books and guides, produced annually, are available to members at reduced prices.
There are national and local campaigns as CAMRA maintains its efforts to ensure the availability of traditional real ales. It is campaigning to ensure that every pint of beer bought actually contains a full pint: far too many do not. CAMRA campaigns for reduced tax on beer and assistance for smaller brewers.
Branches, like ROB, get involved in Campaigning locally to keep breweries and pubs open and to protect the heritage of Real Heritage Pubs. You can also contact your MP about many issues and if you want to know who they are and contact them you can Find your MP. You never know your MP may be a member of the All Party Parliamentary Beer Group
It should be pointed out that we also meet in pubs very often, where we talk and drink beer a great deal in variable proportions.
Contacts and Joining
You can contact Camra using the links below or you can attend one of our branch meetings or events where you will be most welcome. See Branch Diary for details or contact Mike Robinson, The Branch Membership Secretary
CAMRA - The Campaign for Real Ale
230 Hatfield Road
tel +44 (0) 1727 867201
E-mail HQ: CAMRA
CAMRA National website: National CAMRA
Apply to Join CAMRA now
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Thursday, 18:35 : The Good Beer Guide 2019 shop is now open! 📚 Pre-order your copy of the Good Beer Guide 2019 direct from CAMRA to… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Wednesday, 18:05 : ICYMI: Last week CAMRA released its latest pub closure figures which revealed the huge obstacles facing pubs includ… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Sunday, 19:59 : RT @LongLiveLocals: Over 25,000 people have signed the petition to cut beer tax, but there’s so many more locals out there! Tag a frien… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Tuesday, 17:06 : We're drawing breath after a busy week at @gbbf. A huge, huge thank you to everyone who volunteered, visited and en… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Friday 10th August, 13:53 : RT @gbbf: Not quite beer garden weather, get yourself to #GBBF and enjoy some great beers, cider & perry under our spectacula… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…